A Safety Stand-Down is a voluntary event for employers to talk directly to employees about safety.
This May of 2023, help employees get the most out of these important workplace tools without putting themselves in danger. The National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction (happening from May 1-5, 2023) focuses on Fall Hazards and reinforces the importance of Fall Prevention.
How Can Falls Be Prevented?
OSHA prescribes these three steps to prevent falls and save lives:
- Plan to get the job done safely.
- Provide the right fall protection equipment to construction workers.
- Train everyone to identify fall hazards and use fall protection equipment safely.
Fall Hazards & Fall Prevention Safety Tips
Here are 7 ladder safety tips to promote ladder safety during a stand-down:
- Review and demonstrate the correct way to inspect a ladder before use.
- Discuss the importance of using the right ladder for the job.
- Teach proper ladder placement and stability.
- Discuss weight limits and the dangers of overloading a ladder.
- Demonstrate how to properly secure the ladder when in use.
- Highlight the importance of keeping the ladder clean and free of debris, which is even more crucial for those in the construction industry.
- Encourage attendees to report any damaged or faulty ladders immediately.
Ladders are important for doing work at higher levels, but they can also put workers in dangerous situations. Some of the most common ladder safety hazards include placing ladders on slippery floors, insecurely positioned ladders and, of course, unsafe ladder usage by employees.
Would you like to incorporate post-training videos to reinforce the message?
Here’s a great video to help your employees in the subject of ladder safety & working at heights